Spring Chicken House, Part I

Amelie loves picking up the boards and carry them over to me... then taking them away, and carrying them around the yard!

Here you can see the coop's base. I kept having to move it around, according to where the shade was because it was so hot last week. To the right, you can see part of our new laundry line... we used the electric dryer for only one load last week, which is amazing considering we do between 7-9 loads/week! Note: that little blue bag was my grandmother's clothes pin bag, and I'm so honored to have it... my mom gave it to me last week, and it helps a lot

our hairless cat, Gaia Moon, sat in the warm sun of Sorin & Amelie's South bedroom window and watched us work

this is where we're at now... a partial frame is built. It's rainy today, which is forcing me to step back and take a much needed break. I'd like it to remain primarily in this corner since we can view it perfectly from the kitchen window (and Sorin & Amelie's room)

Since last Thursday evening, I’ve been working on building the frame for the chicken coop. Initially, the frame base started out way too large, so I shortened it and it felt much more do-able… especially from the standpoint of someone with very basic carpentry skills. I’m not working from a ‘plan’. I always work intuitively, from a design I see in my head, and it’s very clear. Once I have that picture in my head, I’m very driven about manifesting it in physical form. With this coop, I’ve noticed my main problem is a lack of using the proper tools, even though I have them. I started out just hammering the old fashioned way, which was a headache. I finally found our electric screwdriver/drill and things went smoothly after that. It’s very solid now, and can be moved easily around the yard. We plan on attaching wheels to the back (right) end so we can lift it onto different places in the yard for varied grazing. The house, which will set up on the right side supports, will be large enough for 4 nesting boxes, and 2 roosting poles inside, and one outside. Approximately 8-12 hens will fit comfortably, but we plan to start out with just 3-5 hens. I can see the finished product in my head (including the goofy chickens), just getting there is tricky and time consuming for an amateur. Although, with Amelie’s help things should be a snap!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Amelie, Chickens, Pictures, Projects, Simplified Living. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s